This is PART 2 of My Instagram Project in which I share what’s working and what’s not. Haven’t read PART 1? Read it here.
7 Days in after publishing my transparent Instagram project post and I have 115 followers!!!
(I started with 54 followers)
That’s 112% growth!
So it looks like I am on track to reach my goal of 150 followers by end of month.
*happy dance!* I may even exceed my goal!
Ok, let’s dive right in…
My hashtag strategy
- I’ve been applying between 20 – 30 hashtags on each post. (Instagram allows up to 30, so go for it!)
- I’m avoiding generic hashtags like #love and #beautiful.
- I add these hashtags under COMMENT and not in the main body of the post and post my comment IMMEDIATELY after posting.
- I save all my hashtags in my NOTES on my phone and I have a note for each day of the week. This is how I choose to categorize my hashtags but you can categorize your hashtags differently, for example: “home decor”, “kids”…
- I make sure to include a hashtag that highlights the day of the week. For example #Saturdayvibes.
- I’m using hashtags of varying popularity. I start out with a few hashtags with over a million users and then I add the less popular ones.
- I use location-based hashtags. I live in Edmonton, Alberta (Canada) so I include hashtags for my city and province. Since most of my clients are local and I primarily want to attract the attention of local businesses, I have also included hashtags like #localbusiness. I highly recommend you do the same if you work with or collaborate with local businesses.
- I use Websta to track my popular hashtags, analyze my account and to search for trending hashtags. I also like INK361.
Use and experiment with hashtags.
My “follow” strategy
I’ve been following back almost everyone who follows me.
I don’t follow private accounts with no bio. I don’t follow “get rich quick” accounts and this probably goes without saying but I’m not following “glamour” models and the like…
I’m actively searching and following businesses that I believe I can collaborate or/and work with. I do this daily and I don’t spend more than 5 minutes on this task.
Engage with those who follow you.
How have I been promoting my Instagram account?
I have been promoting my account as follows:
- In this blog.
- In Facebook Groups that allow you to promote your social media accounts.
- Via email (subscribers).
Promote your Instagram everywhere.
How have I been expediting growth and follower loyalty?
- I’ve been commenting on posts that have really stood out for me but I am not doing this as consistently as I want to…I’m planning on changing that this week.
- I have been responding to all legit and meaningful comments.
- I like and follow posts, in that order. I don’t believe you should just follow and not show you have looked at the account before following.
Respond to comments.
Georgia Tech and Yahoo labs looked at 1.1 million pictures on Instagram and discovered that pictures with faces get 38% more likes and 32% more comments, so unsurprisingly, my most popular post was a pic of yours truly.
Be in more posts.
What changes will I make to my strategy?
“However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results” – Sir Winston Churchill
I started out posting 1 x a day 6 days a week, but last week I posted 1x a day for 7 days. This week I am going to post 2x a day for at least 6 days a week and see how that goes.
I am doing this because of you. So thank you for your comments and suggestions. 😊
Here is a screenshot of my Instagram analytics (18 September 2017)
Read the final post – Part 3 here.
Now over to you…
Have you been marketing your biz on Instagram? What are your top tips? I’d love to know what has been working for you!
Join hundreds of subcribers in my resource library!
Subscribe to get immediate access to FREE and helpful content!